Monday, June 14, 2010

First benchmark (unintentional)

Fast forward to Labor Day Weekend, 2007.

The parents had organized a trip for the family: them, me and my family and my brother and his family to the Pymatuning Lake area for some general touring and a picnic.

By this time, my wife Brenda and I were full force into geocaching, as time allowed. Her and I decided this would be the perfect time to introduce the rest of the family to geocaching. Brenda found something along the same lines called letterboxing. We figured this would be a better way considering a. we had all the kids with us and b. there was one right next to the nature center we were going to.

So, we sprung it on them as we pulled into the Nature Center, that after the tour we were going to walk the trail and find this letterbox.


It worked like a charm. They were all extremely intrigued and finding the letterbox proved to be a very successful venture.


Brenda and I had hoped for this result, we came prepared with a handful of geocaches for the family to try out.

Using my father's Garmin Nuvii, we were able to track down a couple of geocaches successfully and a good time was had by all.

In the midst of this trip, part of the itinerary was to go the Linesville Dam, 'where the fish walk on the ducks backs'. I had decided to walk to the other side of the causeway, when I saw something shining on the ground. Didn't know it then, but it was the first benchmark I had seen. And there it started....

No comments:

Post a Comment