Monday, June 14, 2010

First Geocache

My first geocache was in spring of 2006, while I was in my last semester of my second time around in college.

A guy in my class by the name of Tony Nardo dragged me out into the wet forest east of Edinboro University to help him find this thing someone had hidden. I had no idea what i was in for.

Apparently there were four geocaches hidden in this forest. He had a GPS and the coordinates and for three hours we trudged around and found all of them, except for the last one, a manically hidden microcache named Woodpecker. Unbeknowst to us, Woodpecker was named because it was hidden in a tree in a hollowed out knot. IMPOSSIBLE to find.

Luckily, the guy who hid it just happened to be out there to retrieve the cache. Apparently, EUP had told everyone who had hid caches on campus to remove them. I'm not sure of the reason why, but hey, their property, their prerogative.

So, he showed us where it was and we all talked about how much fun this 'new' game was on the way out.

And I was hooked.

But, I was severely lacking in the equipment side of things: no GPS.

So, new hobby=on hold until better equipment magically surfaced.

No comments:

Post a Comment